Re: using two sound cards

Lee Revell wrote:
I have one sound card onboard of my PC which I have disabled from BIOS.
My question is can I activate the second sound card and for example
duplicate all that is played on my front speakers of the primary card and
pass it to the output of the second card ?
If the answer is yes can you give me some clue how to set it up :)

There's no easy way with ALSA.  A sound server like PulseAudio is required.

It should be possible with some obscure .alsa.conf magic, I have had a setup similar to this and working.

If what you want boils down to the front-l and front-r channel being sent to two sound cards and the other channels to only one, you should do something like: duplicate the front-l and front-r so you have 6 -> 8 channels and then route the first 6 channels to the first soundcard and the last two channels to the second soundcard. I know it's possible because I once had it working ;-) I can't remember the exact combination of the pcm "types" in the config, though.

At the moment I am trying to do something that is a bit similar to your task and I am also struggling with the non-logic of alsa and the sparse documention :-( maybe someone can help me with this one:

I want to implement a digital cross-over filter using ladspa filters. I know it's possible because I had this working once, too. AFAIK the approach should be either: - duplicate l/r to a 4-channel stream, split this into to streams with separate pcm slaves, the pcm slaves having either high or low shelf butterworth (ladspa) filters and different pcm hw slaves. - another approach would be to use the property of the ladspa butterworth crossover filter that it can output low and high frequency streams to two separate streams at the same time, that would mean no duplication necessary, but I can't (yet) convince alsa convince to work this way...