Re: Weird microphone issue

On Tuesday 15 January 2008, Bill Unruh wrote:
>On Mon, 14 Jan 2008, Gene Heskett wrote:

>>> Does the labtec have a battery? It sounds like a power issue. An electret
>>> mic needs a power source, and it may not be getting the right power.
>>
>> The electret condenser mics do need a battery, but lets clarify something
>> here.  They need the battery to run a buffering amplifier which converts
>> the many megohms source impedance of the mic capsule down to something
>> that can be fed down a cable and into a <=50k ohm load of the typical mic
>> input.  The
>
>Agreed. But they need power. A buffering amp with no power does not do
>much.
>
>> capsule itself is permanently charged to a quite high voltage, which is
>> where the 'electret' in the name comes from.  FYI, its ultimate high
>> pressure sound level response, if one were to record a gun going off, is
>> generally such that a 44 magnum can be recorded without clipping from a
>> point 6" below the muzzle of that formidable arm.  The buffering amplifier
>> in it would probably clip at a much lower spl.  The original condenser mic
>> I've some experience with, an Altec M-21, could do that to a civil war
>> cannon, and did so for the Mercury recording of the Overture of 1812 50
>> years ago, but needed a plate voltage of 150 volts applied to the 6AT6
>> tube used as that buffering cathode follower to do that.  Which was the
>> std voltage used also for the condenser bias since this predates the
>> electret technology by about 35 years.  More recent, and several hundred
>> dollar cheaper electrets, of the teeny AAA cell battery types, will limit
>> the clip point to about a volt of output, which I can easily do with my
>> voice.
>>
>> I also have 2 varieties of headsets that I use with skype and friends,
>> that do not have any batteries in them and work just fine.  In fact I've
>> not seen any
>
>The Mic input on soundcards have power -- try putting a volt meter across
>the gound-> live inputs of the mic input to the soundcard. Unlike the Line
>in. Ie, they do not need batteries but they do need power. Now if his mono
>had a battery it would not need the power from the soundcard, while if his
>other mic did not, it would.
>Note that it is his mono plug that works, and his stereo that does not.
>
>> for sale at Staples, circuit city, wallies, et all, that do have
>> batteries, so I'm inclined to think its more likely the OP has a jack
>> incompatibility such as can happen when plugging a mono circuit plug into
>> a stereo jack and one side of the stereo is shorted out by the mono plugs
>> contacts not being in the right place on the barrel.  That has been the
>> case for me a few times.
>
>Except it is the stereo plug that does not work and the mono that does.

I've not seen a headset boom that was stereo, so I read it the other way
around and the OP didn't actually state.  I have seen headsets that use a
stereo plug though.  The ring is some cases is the earpiece!  Intended for
cellphone use I think.

You may be right Bill, but that's how I read it.

>> But if it is the sort that parallels the stereo right at the input jack,
>> the mono plugs longer sleeve with cause the ring contact of the
>> tip,ring,sleeve type jack to short the signal out.  Gently pull the plug
>> out slowly, testing as you do, and I'd bet a bottle of suds you'll get
>> something at some point.
>>
>>> Depends on the soundcard, but the mic in input on some have the power on
>>> one of the stereo pins and the input on the other. If your mic is not
>>> wired up for that, it will have trouble.

>>> If the labtec produces sounds into the mic in input, then it is not a
>>> soundcard/alsa issue, it would seem to me.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
The major difference between bonds and bond traders is that the bonds will
eventually mature.