Re: M-Audio Audiophile USB and digital out

On Sun, Dec 16, 2007 at 04:26:52AM +0300, Vladimir Mosgalin wrote:
On 2007.12.15 at 20:53:57 +0100, Stephan Seitz wrote next:
I’m got a M-Audio Audiophile USB soundcard and I’m trying to get it work under Linux. I’m using kernel 2.6.24-rc4 with alsa version 1.0.15.
[snip]
I was using different options for device_setup, but I think 0x09 should be the right choice (I’m playing 16bit flac files, 44 or 48kHz).
Actualy, there is documentation you should read when using that card.
You probably can find your in kernel-doc package on your system (file
/usr/share/doc/kernel-doc*/Documentation/sound/alsa/Audiophile-Usb.txt

Yes, I found it. The problem was, that in the beginning I didn’t use any device_setup parameter, and aplay -l showed a lot of PCM devices for this card, one of them was iec958 for digitial out, but I didn’t hear anything. Now I’m using the option 0x09, and aplay -l shows only the PCM device null, but using hw:0,1 or plughw:0,1 are working with ogg123 and audacious. So, yes I’m getting sound now. ;-) Thanks!

with too much apps, so better don't use it at all, and better yet, run
jack or pulseaudio sound server (latter is more compatible one with
general desktop setup, but you'd better be using very recent version of
it) and don't use hw/plughw devices directly in other apps.

I tried Pulseaudio server 0.9.5 (Debian Lenny) configuring it with „load-module module-alsa-sink device=plughw:0,1 sink_name=output” and switching audacious to pulseaudio output plugin, but this worked not very well (it plays 2 seconds, hangs for 2 seconds, plays the next 2 seconds, etc).

If someone can tell me how to configure Pulseaudio I will try it.

Shade and sweet water!

	Stephan

--
| Stephan Seitz                    E-Mail: Nur-Ab-Sal@xxxxxx |