Re: nobody using snd-usb-audio here, I am getting crazy.

kevin liu wrote:
>> OK, the problem is that the kernel assigns card numbers based on
>> whatever it wants, so the cards can move around each time you boot the
>> system.
>>

> My case is a little different from yours.
> I have an on-board sound card and another usb audio card when I plug my tv card.
> ++++++++++++++++++++++++++
> Before my tv card plug:
> kevin@ubuntukevin:~$ cat /proc/asound/cards
>  0 [Intel          ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
>                       HDA Intel at 0xcddf8000 irq 16
> After I plug tv card:
> kevin@ubuntukevin:~$ cat /proc/asound/cards
>  0 [Intel          ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
>                       HDA Intel at 0xcddf8000 irq 16
>  1 [Controlle      ]: USB-Audio - USB 2.0 Video Capture Controlle
>                       Syntek Semiconductor USB 2.0 Video Capture
> Controlle at usb-0000:00:1d.7-4, hig
> ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
> My usb audio device is not always plugged until it is needed.
> Every time I plug my tv card, I also get the same card sequence as
> /proc/asound/cards shows.

OK, so if you *always* do it that way, then what you want is to tell
alsa to use card 1 as the default.

> What is the env ALSA_CARD stands for, it seems Linux sound system will
> get the its value first when it starts to work.
> I am a newbie here so give me some patience. :-)

ALSA_CARD tells alsa to use that card # as the default.

So in your case you want to set

ALSA_CARD=1

and then run your program.  If the program you are using doesn't
understand alsa, you need to run it using the aoss wrapper:

aoss my_prog

That should work.

--Yan