Re: "best" card for "bitperfect" SPDIF I/O with external clock sync ?

Paolo Saggese wrote:
> On Thursday 22 November 2007 15:25, you wrote:
>> > This is a valid wish, isn't it? And at least the
>> > M-Audio Audiphile cards can sync themselves to the S/PDIF In clock.
>>
>> They can, but the word clock is used only as a sample clock.  It will
>> not reduce the amount of jitter of the card's S/PDIF output.
>
> that's not a concern!
>
> Let' try to explain it better: it's all about avoiding the use
> of the SPDIF reconstructed clock altogether (on the DAC side).

The S/PDIF standard specifies that the clock must be reconstructed from
the signal itself.

> If I can "slave" the SPDIF clock coming into the external DAC to
> the same DAC local clock, I can simply ignore the incoming SPDIF
> clock and just use the local one without any need for reclocking,
> PLLs, etc!

Yes, _if_ you can.

<http://www.audiocraftersguild.com/AandE/npt.on.jitter2.htm> says:
| A few companies which make both transports and external DACs have
| implemented schemes in which the S/PDIF signal is supplemented with a
| second line carrying the master clock back from the external DAC to
| the transport. In this way the DAC's crystal becomes the master rather
| than the transport and the problems of recovering a spectrally pure
| clock are eliminated. No standards for this type of implementation
| exist. In reference #4 Dr. Hawksford calls for the clock signal to be
| transmitted on a second S/PDIF line, I know of no actual product which
| implements this scheme. Sony (in one product) and Arcam send the
| actual clock, Linn argues this leads to RFI problems and so they send
| a DC servo voltage which controls a VCOX in the transport.

So it seems you wouldn't be able to find a sound card that does what
you want.

If all your audio data comes from the PC anyway, you might want to drop
S/PDIF and use a sound card with a break-out box.  The I2S bus used to
control the DACs in those devices has a separate master clock line.

Regards,
Clemens