Re: "best" card for "bitperfect" SPDIF I/O with external clock sync ?

On 22-11-07 20:38, Paolo Saggese wrote:

> On Thursday 22 November 2007 11:39, Rene Herman wrote:
>
>> I suppose your external DAC has no actual WordClock (BNC connection) output?
>
> indeed, it does not. As it does not have an SPDIF output, either...
>
> but I'm a DIY guy (with an EE degree...) and can add whatever output
> I need or even build a new dedicated DAC for the task myself, should
> I prefer not to modify my valuable and expensive commercial DAC. 8-)

It probably doesn't matter all that much. And anyways, you might need to
take Clemens' reply into account which seemed to say you're basically out of
luck anyway as any S/PDIF in sync is not going to help any. I dunno...

>> If it does, you have a range of professional products available (and semipro
>> in for example the TerraTec EWS 88 D/MT coupled with a TerraTec ClockWork
>> module).
>
> interesting...
>
> BTW, what about a TerraTec PHASE 22 ?
>
> mmmh, it's not even in the Matrix... :-(

It is supported: sound/pci/ice1712/phase.c. However, near the top:

"Digital receiver: CS8414-CS (not supported in this release)"

so it might not be the best choice. I do believe it otherwise supports the
same kind of external master clock sync that the Audiophiles do.

>> I know the M-Audio Audiophile 24/96 and Audiophile 192 can sync the master
>> clock with their S/PDIF in and both are great cards, also analogue, and not
>> expensive. The 24/96 you'll even be able to locate 2nd hand by now for +/-
>> EUR 50 or so. Check eBay -- I see them starting at EUR 0,99 ;-)
>
> yep, I've heard of those ones, and like 'em.
>
> Though I may probably prefer TOSlink to avoid ground loops and noise
> transmission...

Not too fond of TOSlink myself but on short distances and when no particular
subtlety of cable is desired I guess it matters not one bit. One bit. Ha.

> But can they do what I need using ALSA?
>
> Perhaps I'm wrong but -if I remember correctly-, I've read somewhere that
> their support is still only partial, and one can't do what I need on Linux.
>
> Am I wrong? (doh, I hope so! :-)

As said, I have neither card myself, so I'll not say anything definite. If I
look at the driver, it seems that digital in is supported at least.

Just saw you get a quality reply from Vladimir. If you're expanding into
external cards, many more options.

> Another card I have seen in the "semi-pro" arena which seems to be almost
> perfect (both RCA and TOSlink I/O, support for up to 24/192, etc.) is the
> "ESI Juli@", http://www.esi-pro.com/viewProduct.php?pid=43
>
>>From the ALSA matrix, it looks like it's based on the same chipset of the
> M-Audio 192.
>
> Would this be also suitable and worth the extra money?
>
> How well is it supported by ALSA?

Sorry, no idea.

Rene.