Re: usb audio - help with asoundrc

william estrada wrote:
> Yan,
>
>   While I am not an expert, I do have a little experience with one USB
> sound device (SB).
>
>   First, asoundconf does not support USB devices.
>
>   Second, the USB devices are assigned their ID in the order they are
> seen.  The first one plugged in will be the first one assigned either
> /dev/dspX (OSS) or plughw:X,Y (ALSA).  You can find your USB SB with
>
>    'cat /proc/asound/cards'
>
>   Mine shows:
>
>>  $ cat /proc/asound/cards
>>  0 [A5451          ]: ALI5451 - ALI 5451
>>                       ALI 5451 at 0x1400, irq 11
>>  1 [Audio          ]: USB-Audio - USB Audio
>>                       USB Audio at usb-0000:00:13.1-2, full speed
>
>   Your two USB SB should be seen to ALSA as -Dplughw:1 and -Dplughw:2.
> The
> other SB on your MB should(?) be seen as -Dhw:0 or default. You can use
> aplay/arecord with the -L parm to get a display of your 'current' set up.
>
>> $ aplay -L
>> default:CARD=A5451
>>     ALI 5451, ALI 5451
>>     Default Audio Device
>> null
>>     Discard all samples (playback) or generate zero samples (capture)
>> default:CARD=Audio
>>     USB Audio, USB Audio
>>     Default Audio Device
>
>   That should get you going?

Ok, that got me a couple more questions.....

How do I assign a device to a specific user/head?

I have a multi-head setup in X; I have 3 sound cards, and I want to
always have head 1 be assigned USB card #1, regardless of who is logged
in to head 1.

.asoundrc doesn't seem able to either

a) force the use of a specific card (it uses card 1 - but card 1 can
move around; I want to always use the USB card that's plugged into port
blah.

or b) use a card that's assigned to that head.  (I haven't even figured
out how to approach this....)

Any suggestions?