Re: Alsa-user Digest, Vol 19, Issue 18

On Wed, 14 Nov 2007, Robert Easter wrote:

> On Wednesday 14 November 2007 16:58:51 you wrote:
>> On Wed, 14 Nov 2007, Robert Easter wrote:
>>> Bill Unruh wrote,

>>> If the latest alsa is what is on the distros,  that's what I got.  When
>>> the
>>
>> Where did you get them? You have as one of your commands
>> tar -xf alsa-drivers*.tar.gz
>> I want to know what the * represents. YOu know or can find out what the
>> actual name of that file is. That * contains the alsa version number.
>>
>>> internet endeavor failed, (the kmix level indicator showed  that it could
>>> not find a mixer) I "installed" the latest alsa mixer by adept
>
> I'd also like to know the version numbers.  I  couldn't find the links or

Did you erase the tar files or the untarred packages? You made a directory
form the in /usr/local/src, but your list of commands never had a "cd" to
that directory, so also look in your home directory, or root's home
directory. Or do
locate alsa-driver

> procedure when I went back to the page I had bookmarked.  It would seem that
> I might have conflicting drivers or mixers installed, but then one or the
> other would at least start to start, or at least register with the kmix or
> other gui, but none do, so as far as I can see that might mean that nothing
> ever installed properly, but is just so much irrelevant junk on the
> harddrive.  Is there any way just to scrub the whole alsa shootin' match and
> install a package that actually can see the hardware and be seen by  what
> needs it?
>
> I wish I had the bucks to follow your first suggestion-  A quick Google
> on "00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High
> Definition Audio Controller (rev 02)"  turns up what looked like thousands of
> posts, "how is this thing supposed to work?" and not an answer I saw.  So
> anybody figures this one out goes down in history!

OK, download the latest alsa package (from www.alsa-project.org). I believe
the latest stable is 1.0.15 and go throught the procedures you described again.
Do
modprobe -r snd-hda-intel
Make sure that you have the source, or stripped source for the kernel that
you are running installed.
uname -a will tell you which kernel you are running.

When you run the make install, make sure that no errors are reported. run
depmod -a
and then modprobe snd-hda-intel

Immediately do
dmesg| tail -20