Re: Acer Aspire 4720

On 11/9/07, Nigel Henry <cave.dnb2m97pp@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wednesday 07 November 2007 12:09, BuraphaLinux Server wrote:
> > I have an acer aspire 4720 laptop using kernel 2.6.22.11, and I have
> > ALSA 1.0.15, but the sound does not work.
> >
> > Attached is the lspci output.  The snd-hda-intel module loads, and I
> > tried adding
> > 'options snd-hda-intel model=acer' to /etc/modprobe.conf but that did not
> > help.
> >
> > Has anybody successfully made this laptop work with ALSA?  If you did,
> > how did you do it?
> >
> > I tried with headphones on the front jack, and just like the built-in
> > speakers, there was no sound.
>
> As nobody has replied to you yet, I may as well do so.
>
> First. Which distro are you using on this laptop?
>
> Also I saw a while back that someone had tried model=acer for an Acer
> laptop,
> which didn't work, but then tried model=toshiba, and for some reason this
> worked. I can't remember the laptop, but seem to remember that is was one
> using the ALC268 codec.
>
> Would you post the output of:
> cat /proc/asound/cards
> lspci -v
> And if it works for you on your setup:
> grep Codec /proc/asound/card0/codec#*
>
> Also would you download, and run the script below. Just download it to
> your /home/user directory.
>
> http://bulletproof.servebeer.com/alsa/scripts/alsa-info.sh
>
> Right click on the script, and in permissions, make it executable, then run
> it
> as:
> ./alsa-info.sh
>
> the result will be sent to pastebin, and you will see a link to pastebin
> after
> the script has run. Paste the link to your reply to the mailing list. There
> is a lot of info about your machine, and alsa setup that has been posted to
> pastebin, which may help others to help you with your problem.
>
> All the best.
>
> Nigel.

I am using the completely unknown Burapha Linux Server distribution,
since I am the maintainer.  I never had a laptop before, and ALSA has
'just worked' on every desktop I ever tried.  The boss said "Desktops
are dead; make laptops work" and I am not having much luck yet.
http://www.buraphalinux.org/

The URL for alsa-info.sh output is http://pastebin.ca/766942

The output of the 3 commands is attached

Thank you for your help.