Re: emu 0404 usb

Aleksander Kamenik wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm using the daily snapshot from 18 oct.
>
> I am able to get sound when using plughw:0,0 and only for 44100Hz.
> Although the wiki, dated 7. Oct, says:
>
> "The support for the EMU USB cards has started, and basic support is now
> in the latest alsa hg. It only supports _48000_ rate, but all the
> in/outs should work. Still TODO: Control of extension units that are
> used for setting the rate,spdif options etc."
>
> When I play 48kHz tracks the sound is awful, but it's OK with 44.1kHz.
> Is this a typo in the wiki, shouldn't it read "It only supports 44100
> rate,"?
>
> Second, as stated above to have sound I have to use plughw, with hw it
> doesn't work at all.
>
> I have also tried switching pcm.hw and pcm.plughw in alsa.conf. This
> resulted in hw:0,0 to being the one that outputs sound. But it didn't
> make applications by default use it, for example mplayer or flash player
> in the browser. I still have to explicitly set hw:0,0. And I can't do
> that for flashplayer in the browser.
>
> Anyway I reset the configuration the original where plughw works.
>
> So how can I make plughw:0,0 the default device that applications will
> send sound to? I couldn't figure this out.
>
> As a workaround I can play 48kHz tracks with mplayer by using the -af
> option which resamples the rate to 44.1kHz. And again, I can't do this
> for flash. Nor can I play 48kHz tracks from amarok, they just sound awful.
>
> I'd really like to keep testing the new drivers, but setting the card to
> the be used by default would really help.
>
> I'm attaching my alsa.conf, but it should be the default one that was
> installed with the latest alsa-lib snapshot.
>

> Regards,

Toggle one of the extension controls. It should change it between 44.1
and 48kHz
The USB device only works at fixed speeds, so I need to do a bit of work
on the driver to ensure that the user does not try to send the wrong
speed stream to the USB device when the extension controls are not set
right.
If you find that is still does not work, I am afraid you will just have
to wait a bit, until I get all the extension controls sorted out.

James