Re: dirty spectra (case resolved)

Jonathan Leonard wrote:
> On Oct 11, 2007, at 2:45 PM, Jonatan Liljedahl wrote:
...snip...
>> But, this is interesting, when recording a pure sawtooth from my
>> analogue modular into my soundcard (through a mixing desk) there was
>> some ringing too, but it didn't sound at all as dirty as the previous
>> computer-generated sawtooth. When playing back this recorded analogue
>> sawtooth, I had a hard time hearing the difference.
...snip...

> My thinking from your last post was a bit depth or format mismatch.
> Whatever method used to create the saw, must be explicitly duplicated in
> your aplay command parameters.  aplay does not detect anything for you,
> so you have to specify every parameter for the wav file including
> channels, format, bit depth, sampling rate.
>
> Looking at your pictures, the distortion occurs at the min and maxima of
> the waveform which would also suggest a headroom mismatch.  You ever
> listen to a 24 bit file played back at 16 bit without dithering?  Can be
> interesting...
>
> I was also going to say in the experiment, which can be a little more
> rigorous, to look at spectrum for comparison you need to do FFT.  And
> there is no audible control - maybe play the file back on a system you
> know is working, not some other hacked linux box ;)
>
> Look at man aplay and make sure it has all the parameters exactly
> matching your input conditions in audacity - which you have not
> completely enumerated yet.  What does your aplay command so far look
> like?  You want me to write it for you?  ;P

I found the problem. :)
This is a bit embarrassing, but I come from a very analogue background
regarding synthesis (I've built 3 analogue synthesizers)...

The thing is, I knew nothing about DSP methods and thought that a
sawtooth oscillator was just about incrementing a phase and wrap it back
to -1.0 when it was above 1.0.

Now I've learned that this is a naive implementation and that it
produces infinite harmonics which leads to aliasing effects, audible as
rough sub-harmonics.

This is what I did in my JACK oscillator code, and apparently what
Audacity does in their "generate tone" function. (And probably thousands
of DSP-coding-beginners before me... ;)

To get a good-sounding sawtooth (or other waveform with rich harmonics),
a bandlimited oscillator is needed.

--
/Jonatan         [ http://kymatica.com ]