dmix with digital output? / Didn't buy bose :)

Hiho,

I'm using a digital receiver with an Audigy SE card and in-kernel alsa 2.6.22 on
gentoo. Surprisingly I had no problems setting up digital output and ac3
passthrough (simply using iec958). I can't change the volume, but I guess that's
 normal.

I'd really like to use dmix as well but when I specify the iec958 as slave I get:

"dmix plugin can be only connected to hw plugin"

The Audigy SE has 3 other hw devices but I didn't get any sound through spdif
when using them:

card 0: CA0106 [CA0106], device 0: ca0106 [CA0106]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: CA0106 [CA0106], device 1: ca0106 [CA0106]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: CA0106 [CA0106], device 2: ca0106 [CA0106]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: CA0106 [CA0106], device 3: ca0106 [CA0106]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 0: ALC883 Analog [ALC883 Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

So..does that mean it's not possible with the audigy se card? Maybe I could buy
another one(more expensive though), my dealer has:

Creative Soundblaster Connnect (USB)
Terratec EXTERN Aureon 5.1 MK II ML

However, it seems that those two can't top the audigy se which can do 24 bit and
44.1, 48 and 96 KHz over spdif(according to creative's web page).

For those of you that read the bose companion thread, I can finally tell you
what the result of that very helpful discussion was for me. As I already said I
bought the audigy se because it apparently has very good digital output support
and is very cheap. Furthermore, I was thinking about getting a good headphone
solution, a good stereo solution or a good surround solution. In the end, I
think I got a good deal of all three. I bought a Marantz SR 8001 surround
receiver that also supports dolby headphone. Marantz is famous for its stereo
receivers and it is said that that quality can also be found in their surround
receivers. Additionally, they are relatively cheap for their class because they
don't put lots of fancy stuff like ipod connectors in their receivers. I also
got a chance to listen to the dolby headphone thing in advance and did like the
sound of it. Also I can say that the quality in stereo mode over the headphones
is definitely better than with my on-board sound card, totally new experience
listening to well known songs. Regarding the speakers, I bought 4 Klipsch B3
Synergy which I really like for their crystal clear sound. All that's missing
now is a subwoofer. I won't buy a center since it would have to be placed below
my monitor and the marantz can redirect the signal through the front speakers.
So thanks for your help getting where I am :)

Uli