Re: BCD2000

Hi,
On Thu, 2007-09-20 at 17:28 -0400, DJ A. J. Slye wrote:
> ok, the BCD2000 is USB compliant and defined at the hardware level. Linux
> detects the device as bcd2000 but doesn't have drivers for the components
> past the USB i.e. Sound and Midi, However, it's doesn't appear to be the
> components that are not compliant it seems to be the firmware of the device
> that isn't, as you can see from the lsusb output I posted earlier...

USB provides for a "Device Class" which allows for developers to develop
drivers based on the specifications at
http://www.usb.org/developers/devclass_docs - this is what is meant by
"USB Class Compliant", so any device that is, say, "USB Audio Class
Compliant" will work with drivers that understand that specification -
e.g. the ALSA snd-usb-audio driver.

However this device has a class of 255 which is reserved for proprietary
interfaces - the manufacturer can send and receive data of their own
devising within the USB protocol, it can be thought of as an I/O device
for a specific piece of software that uses the lower level USB protocols
for convenience. It is likely that the only specification for the higher
level protocol that exists was passed between the manufacturers hardware
designers and their driver developers.

> I also
> know that I am not the first person to ask about this, if we could get a
> working OSS or ALSA driver then we would also have a place to start for
> other OS support. Behringers driver suport is slim to none and any work
> towards an opensource driver for this device would help to eleviate many who
> have this device....

Almost certainly the prerequisites before anyone could even think of
developing a driver for this device would be that there is a
specification of the interface that is sufficiently detailed to write an
implementation from (like those linked above) and an example of the
hardware. See
http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/ALSA_Soundcard_Vendor_Information

Then of course you need a sufficiently motivated developer as Bill
explained.

P.S. It appears that someone has done some work on a MAC OS/X driver -
http://www.evinyatar.be/sphpblog/index.php?category=4 but hasn't
released the source, this may or may not be useful to anyone developing
an ALSA driver.

/J\