Re: HDA (Realtek ALC883) and surround sound

Daniel Drake wrote:
> Now, I guess I want to set this system-wide, and preferably also using
> dmix. Is this a sensible thing to do, or will applications automatically
> use the correct surroundXY mixer on their own?

I *think* that ALSA applications are supposed to use the surroundXY
devices automatically for multichannel audio. But I'm not certain on
this, I've only ever used mplayer to play multichannel sound.

I doubt it's a good idea to try and set a 4 channel device as the system
default, as I imagine you'll run into issues with stuff that just wants
to play simple stereo. I think a better approach would probably be to
configure some form of upmixing 2.0 -> 4.0 for the default (stereo)
device and let true 4.0 programs output to the surroundXY devices.

The setup I have (for 5.1) is:

pcm.ch51dup {
         type route
         slave.pcm surround51
         slave.channels 6
         ttable.0.0 0.8
         ttable.1.1 0.8
         ttable.0.2 0.6
         ttable.1.3 0.6
         ttable.0.4 0.5
         ttable.1.4 0.5
#        ttable.0.5 0.5 # Sub -- speakers seem to have their own filters
to redirect other channels to sub.
#        ttable.1.5 0.5
    }

so I guess something like:

pcm.ch40dup {
         type route
         slave.pcm surround40
         slave.channels 4
         ttable.0.0 0.8
         ttable.1.1 0.8
         ttable.0.2 0.6
         ttable.1.3 0.6
    }

ought to work for you -- again, this is all completely untested.

> pcm.dmixer  {
>     type dmix
>     ipc_key 1024
>     slave {
>         pcm "surround40"
>         period_time 0
>         period_size 1024
>         buffer_size 4096
>         rate 44100
>     }
>     bindings {
>         0 0
>         1 1
>     }
> }

Looking at the .asoundrc on my other box, then for a multichannel dmix I
have:

pcm.dmix6 {
      type dmix
         ipc_key 1024
         ipc_key_add_uid false # let multiple users share
         ipc_perm 0660 # IPC permissions (octal, default 0600)
         slave {
                 pcm "hw:0,0"
                 rate 48000
                 channels 6
                 period_time 0
                 period_size 1024 # try 2048 against skipping
                 buffer_time 0
                 buffer_size 5120 # in case of problems reduce this
                                  # in case of skipping, try increasing
         }
      }

I don't actually use that setup at the moment (that box currently has no
need for dmix), but I think it works. So I guess changing:
	pcm "surround40"
to:
	pcm "hw:0,0"
	rate 48000
	channels 4
in your .asoundrc might be worth a try. Having said that, I'm on quite
uncertain ground here so YMMV!

Hope some of this is useful and not too much of it is wildly inaccurate!

Cheers,
-ol