Re: Only one capture source??

On 8/16/07, Daniel Porres <chancleta@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> is anyone out there?
> Im using alsa driver 1.0.14 on a Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family)
> card, on Ubuntu Feisty.  I install the driver following the instructions for
> ich7 cards.
> Everything works fine but I cannot capture from a diferent source than the
> microphone. I run gnome mixer or other mixers and I only can select mic
> capture source.
>
> I would like to capture the sounds that my laptop send through the normal
> speakers, for example, to capture sound from a video stream, but is
> imposible to select other device than the mic.
> Is something missing in that driver 1.0.14?, should I try other version?

Perhaps I'm confused, but I don't think what you are trying to do has
anything to do with selecting a different capture device. If you could
configure it the way you wanted, the best you could hope for is that
the speakers would vibrate in response to external sounds, and you
would pick up some sort of signal from that. (Which actually does
work, somewhat, but not what you're looking for.)

You want to take the audio stream going to a playback device and
redirect it to a file. If whatever application you are using allows
you to specify the ALSA device, then use the 'tee' device to send it
both to the playback device and some file. For example, aplay lets you
give the device with -D:

  aplay -D tee:plug:dmix,/tmp/output.wav somefile.wav

If you look in your alsa.conf, there will hopefully be a 'pcm.tee'
device already configured, which takes three arguments: a slave
device, a filename, and a format. The syntax seems to be (sorry I
can't give a definitive description; the details, if I have found
them, were buried in something too abstruse for me to find and
understand) device:arg1,arg2[,arg3....]. Here, device is 'tee', arg1
is 'plug:dmix' (you could use 'hw:0' if you wanted it to go straight
out), and arg2 is '/tmp/output.wav'. The third argument might be
useful for setting the sample rate etc. of the output, but I don't
have an example to guess the syntax from for that. (Other than 'raw',
which is the default.)