Front Output Jack problems with AD1986A/M5461

Hi, I'm using the latest ALSA version with Ubuntu Fiesty and I can't
seem to get my front audio jack on my computer to work.

I have an ASUS A8R-MVP mobo and my case has some jumpers to connect a
front audio output (and input but I don't use it) to my mobo. The rear
jack that is part of my mobo works great, but the front one never gets
any sound. Works find under my WinXP boot, but not under Linux, so I'm
pretty sure it's some ALSA setting I need to change.

I'm somewhat comfortable with Linux, but never had to worry about
sound issues before now, so not sure what information would be useful
here, but here's a stab at some useful stuff....

$ cat /proc/asound/cards
 0 [M5461          ]: HDA-Intel - HDA ULI M5461
                      HDA ULI M5461 at 0xcedf8000 irq 22

$ cat /proc/asound/pcm
00-01: AD198x Digital : AD198x Digital : playback 1
00-00: AD198x Analog : AD198x Analog : playback 1 : capture 1

$ cat /proc/asound/version
Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.14.
Compiled on Aug 30 2007 for kernel 2.6.20-16-generic (SMP).

Ideally I would love to play the front port at an attenuated volume
compared to the back port, as I usually have headphones plugged into
the front and speakers in the back which can get a bit too lound on
headphones. But just getting sound out of that front port in any form
would be great. Thanks in advance.

-Kevin