Re: ESI RoMIO 2 problem

On Tue, 21 Aug 2007, Maciej oziski wrote:

> Thank you very much! I'll try this.
> Unfortuantely my laptop has a lot of problems now. I upgraded it to debian
> testing from stable to get the latest alsa drivers, and it started to have
> soft lockups. Now I came back from work, and it doesn't even want to power
> up :-/

You do not have to install a whole new operating system to get a new alsa.
Just download the latest alsa, compile it on the machine you want to use it
on with the appropriate kernel source tree and config file, and install it.
(NOte you need to check to see if the files in
/lib/modules/<kernel-version>/kernel/snd
have a .o or .ko extention, or are compressed ( eg .ko.gz) If so, then the
alsa make install screws up and you need to run
find /lib/modules/<kernel-version>/kernel/snd -name snd\*.\*o.gz|xargs rm
first so as to remove the old modules.

Note also that debian is the worst distribution to use if you want to
support the latest hardware. They purposely trade off support for
stability. That may be a good tradeoff for some, but support for sound
hardware is not one of the places.