Re: Trying to use my SB16 with Alsa

On 08/17/2007 12:30 AM, GGLL wrote:

Do not drop CCs. Use "Reply to all".

> Yes, I have those uncommon settings, I already have a fax-modem at COM3
> with that irq=5.

Okay.

> A new question I have: is there a file where the messages (action and
> answers) at boot as seen on the screen are stored?. I could manage to
> read a mesage like this (or so, it's all very fast):
>
> "Could not allocate resources for slot4 ISA/EISA"
>
> Perhaps this is the root (...) of the problem.

If you boot into text mode, you can hit Shift-PageUp at the login prompt to
scroll up but all the kernel messages are also stored in the kernel message
buffer which you can read with the command "dmesg" ("dmesg | less" to have
it paginated).

The message could be part of the problem. Have you told your BIOS that IRQ
10 and DMA 1 and 5 are reserved for legacy ISA in it's PnP setup?

If the only problem is that it doesn't work directly at boot but does work
after a manual "modprobe snd-sb16 isapnp=0", with or without "port=0x220
irq=10, dma8=1 dma16=5" then the problem is just Debian it seems. I don't
run it and can't help there.

Rene.