Re: Trying to use my SB16 with Alsa

On 08/16/2007 01:02 AM, nagato@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I read somewhere that for ALSA to find the card, I have to tell ALSA
> explicitly which parameters this card use, so I tried two variants adding
> the sound card parameters, none worked. Please see below asterisks line
> for details.

snd-sb16 does autoprobing, so you shouldn't actually really need to provide
the resource parameters manually, although it's generally a good idea with
ISA (Non-PnP) to do so...

[ ... ]

> Content of /etc/modprobe.d/sound file, as modified by me (variant #2)
>
> alias snd-card-0 snd-sb16
> options snd-sb16 index=0 port=0x220 mpu_port=0x330 irq=10 dma8=0 dma16=5 mic_agc=1 csp=1 isapnp=0

IRQ 10 and DMA channel 0 are somewhat unexpected for a soundblaster. I take
it the card generally works with thse settings, but just in case; it really
is a Non-PnP card right? What's the CT number? (printed on the board).

The default values for an SB16 are port=0x220 irq=5 dma8=1 dma16=5. Please
verify the settings with the jumpers on the card...

I'd personally advice to jumper the card to the default values and then set
IRQ 5 and DMA 1 and 5 to "Legacy ISA" in your BIOS so that your BIOS won't
configure an ISA-PnP or PCI device at those values.

A simple "modprobe snd-sb16 isapnp=0" should then work fine (the parameters
you have in the modprobe config files may interfere at that point though so
be sure to start clean).

The rest (or if this wasn't the point, all) of your problem seems to some
distribution specific problem of how to autoload modules and you might be
best off asking about that on some distribution specific list.

Rene.