Re: Recording a playback stream

I found this how-to for linux/skype/alsa users here.

Hope this helps,

jonathan

On Aug 10, 2007, at 10:32 PM, Edward Coffey wrote:

Is there any plugin or asoundrc trick that I can use to record a playback stream?

My situation is this: I'm using a USB headset with Skype 1.4 and I'd like to record the conversation, but Skype provides no way of doing this. The USB audio device doesn't provide any "mix" input that I can record, the only capture stream it appears to produce is the one from the microphone (which I _can_ record during a Skype conference, but it's not all that useful without the other voices). I have managed to record the two streams directly to raw files using the File plugin, but this is less than ideal because they then need to be manually aligned, and it appears that if Skype is interrupted and re-opens the sound device, it will start overwriting the output files from the start.

What I'd like is to be able to set Audacity recording from a virtual "mix" device, then start the Skype conference and have Audacity record both my voice, and the voices of the others in the conference.

I'm using ALSA 1.0.14 in Debian (Lenny) for i386.

Thanks,
Ed.