Re: Problems with Sony Vaio VGN-FZ15 (STAC9872AK)

On Fri, 10 Aug 2007, yardbird wrote:

> On Thursday 09 August 2007, Micha? Brzozowski wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have the exact same issue with my Vaio VGN-FZ190.  I wonder if it's a
>> hardware fault.  Please tell if you've made any progress on this.
>>
>> I don't have Windows at the moment, and don't feel like installing one,
>> so I don't know how it behaves there.  If you have Windows, do the
>> headphones work there?
>>
>> The microphone works ok for me on Linux.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Michal
>
> Having exactly the same board and the same issue on my Vaio VGN-FZ18M. I guess
> this make us a crowd :)
>
> Passing "model=vaio" helps also in my case, but nevertheless the builtin
> speaker keep on playing.
>
> Where should one start to try to fix this?

Open up the case, drill a hole in the case to mount a little switch. solder
the switch between the motherboard and teh speaker, and switch it off when
you do not want the speaker to work.

Of course you may well find this advice useless, but I hope it indicates
the problems with your question.

The speaker headphone is either controllable by software or it is not. In
the latter case my suggestion is probably the only one. If it is ( eg if in
some otehr OS you can play either one without the other) then what needs to
be done is that driver under Linux be set up to do so. Now it is possible
that Sony decided to change the specs of the intel chips, and decided that
this change was top secret information which could not be released to
anyone. that makes it really hard for Linux writers to use .
gain there is very little you can do except phone, write, email, fax,
picket Sony to get them to make the details public.

Finally it may that there is some obscure option to the driver which will
make it behave properly. Then you have done the only thing you could-- ask
for help here. And if that is the case, hopefully someone who can be more
helpful that I have been will answer ( the defening silence so far is not a
good sign).