Re: es18xx soundcard troubles

On 08/01/2007 08:52 PM, Troy Heidner wrote:

> Holy crap, I've got sound!  :)

Good to hear. I'll submit the little patch for inclusion and (hopefully, it
didn't really get tested, but oh well) future drivers should work a little
better directly (that is, without you needing to specify the port/irq/dma
values manually).

> You were right, that modprobe line did it.  The "state=" line in the
> resources file was already set to active.  A couple of the resources
> were different than you listed, but when I plugged the appropriate
> values into the modprobe line, everything worked!  The primary i/o port
> was 0x240 and the second dma channel was 3, but that was it!  I put the
> line in the rc.local for now and it seems to be working fine.

Yup -- assuming there are no funny messages in "dmesg" after loading the
driver, all should be well.

> I'm working my way up to recompiling kernels one day and I may try it the
> other way.  In my reading on the web I see proponents for both compiled
> kernel drivers and loaded kernel modules.  Are there any significant
> advantages or disadvantages to one over the other?

"Compiled into the kernel binary" versus "compiled into a standalone module"
that is. One advantage of the latter is that it's easier to try different
modules and try with different parameters. But don't worry about it; that
was not the important bit. Just that the driver, whether compiled into the
kernel binary or compiled modular, needs to be recompiled with the patch
applied to enable it to find it's resource values itself.

But it'll work the way you have it setup now with the current driver fine,
so all well...

Rene.