Re: es18xx soundcard troubles

On 07/31/2007 05:44 AM, Troy Heidner wrote:

> I'm new to the list here, and I'm fairly new to linux as well.  I have
> an older Gateway Solo 5150 laptop computer that I'm trying to run Fedora
> Core 6 on.  It's a PII-400 with 288MB of RAM.  I have gotten nearly
> EVERYTHING working splendidly with the exception of sound.  I know that
> it is possible because I have found two accounts of others successfully
> using Linux with sound on this exact same model on the web.  But there
> was no details on how to get it done.  I have loaded Windows on this
> machine in the past so I could determine from there that the sound card
> installed is an ESS 1879.  FC6 won't recognize it out of the box.  I
> have found that ALSA is supposed to support drivers for it, but I don't
> know how to get them loaded.

The trouble is probably as simple as the snd-es18xx driver (which is the one
to try) not knowing it should be driving your sound chip. Nothing good
happens if you do "modprobe snd-es18xx" (as root)?

I expect your chip will announce itself via PNPBIOS. If you do a:

	$ cat /sys/bus/pnp/devices/00:*/id

is there perhaps a ES1979 in the list? (current driver would work if it were
ES1969).

Rene.