es18xx woes

I have an old Compaq Armada 1700 laptop that I'm trying to set up for my
kids.

It has an isa pnp sound card, using the ess 1869 chip.

Apparently both isapnp and acpi are slightly broken, so I've disabled
acpi at kernel boot (acpi=off) and I'm using isapnp=0 when I modprobe
the snd_es18xx module.

I've been going round and round, trying to set it up with various
combinations of dma, port, etc.

I have the Compaq Setup disk, so I've confirmed that my module params
match what the bios thinks the card has, but I've never been able to get
so much as a peep out of the card.

I tried the snd_es1688 several times as well; once I got it to play a
few seconds of sound but then it started repeating the same sound endlessly.

It never played again, even with the same settings.

So... Is anyone familiar with this sound card?  Is there anything I can
provide as debugging info?

The sound card doesn't show up with lspci (no surprise, it's not pci)
but the card is recognized on boot and alsa loads the module automatically.

Alsamixer acts normally; I can see and adjust all sorts of things.

--Yan