Re: Microphone not working on emu10k1

On Wed, Jul 25, 2007 at 12:24:41PM +0200, Thomas Heinz wrote:
> Hi Bruce
>
> You wrote:
> > Do you also have the Capture device flagged for capture?  I have
> > discovered that it is possible, via alsamixer, to toggle the mic on for
> > capture but the Capture device off.
>
> My alsamixer only offers "Mic Select". I tried both Mic1 and Mic2.

You are looking at the playback controls, not the capture controls.  Run
"alsamixer -V capture" to see the capture controls.  The Mic and Capture
controls should both have "CAPTURE" written underneath (in red if your
console supports colour).

> > If that isn't your problem, maybe
> > you could post the output from "amixer scontents" or "amixer contents".
>
> # amixer scontents
[snip]
> Simple mixer control 'Mic',0
>   Capabilities: pvolume pvolume-joined pswitch pswitch-joined cswitch
> cswitch-exclusive
>   Capture exclusive group: 0
>   Playback channels: Mono
>   Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
>   Limits: Playback 0 - 31
>   Mono: Playback 31 [100%] [12.00dB] [on]
>   Front Left: Capture [on]
>   Front Right: Capture [on]

OK, so capture is toggled for your microphone...

> Simple mixer control 'Capture',0
>   Capabilities: cvolume cswitch cswitch-joined
>   Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
>   Limits: Capture 0 - 15
>   Front Left: Capture 0 [0%] [0.00dB] [off]
>   Front Right: Capture 0 [0%] [0.00dB] [off]

But not for your Capture control.  You need to toggle that on and turn
up the level.

--
Bruce

It is impolite to tell a man who is carrying you on his shoulders that
his head smells.