Re: wrong playback rate with indigoIO

Giuliano Pochini wrote:

> On Mon, 9 Jul 2007, Andrei M. Zaparii wrote:
>
>> Hello!
>> I'm struggling with playback sample rate from echo indigo IO card. If i
>> try to just send wav file sampled at 44.1KHz to hardware destination
>> like:
>> aplay -D hw:1,0 badboys.wav
>> Playing WAVE 'badboys.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 44100 Hz,
>> Stereo
>> it plays roughly two times slower then it should.
>
> The Indigo's cards support 32000, 44100, 48000, 88200 and 96000.
> Please, can you have a look at the output of "aplay -v -Dplughw:1
> badboys.wav" and "aplay -v -Dhw:1 badboys.wav" ?  I'm very curious to
> know why it doesn't use 44100/S16_LE/stereo, since that format is
> supported by the hardware.
Yes, sure:
---8<---
time aplay -v -Dplughw:1 badboys.wav
Playing WAVE 'badboys.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 44100 Hz,
Stereo
Plug PCM: Hardware PCM card 1 'Indigo IO' device 0 subdevice 0
Its setup is:
  stream       : PLAYBACK
  access       : RW_INTERLEAVED
  format       : S16_LE
  subformat    : STD
  channels     : 2
  rate         : 44100
  exact rate   : 44100 (44100/1)
  msbits       : 16
  buffer_size  : 27520
  period_size  : 5504
  period_time  : 124807
  tick_time    : 4000
  tstamp_mode  : NONE
  period_step  : 1
  sleep_min    : 0
  avail_min    : 5504
  xfer_align   : 5504
  start_threshold  : 27520
  stop_threshold   : 27520
  silence_threshold: 0
  silence_size : 0
  boundary     : 1803550720

real    5m10.989s
---8<---
While nominal playtime for this song is 3m45s
and
---8<---
 time aplay -v -Dhw:1 badboys.wav
[...]

real    5m10.987s
---8<---
> NB: The card has ONLY ONE clock generator. If another application have
> a pcm substream open and configured, the sample rate is locked at that
> rate until the app closes it. I know it's a kludge, but there aren't
> other fair ways to make sure that everything work fine.
I had carefully read your description at
http://www.webalice.it/g_pochini/ead/ so i understand about single
sample rate at a time. I carefully checked that only aplay keeps pcm
devices opened:
---8<---
lsof +D /dev/snd/ +c 0
COMMAND          PID  USER   FD   TYPE DEVICE SIZE NODE NAME
xfce-mcs-manage 4919 zappa    5u   CHR  116,7      8661 /dev/snd/controlC0
aplay           9201 zappa  mem    CHR  116,8      8620 /dev/snd/pcmC1D0p
aplay           9201 zappa    4u   CHR  116,8      8620 /dev/snd/pcmC1D0p
---8<---

I hope that i will have enough time on this weekend to update alsa and
firmware to the newest versions and then i will be able to do more research.
If You think that i can provide you with more info feel free to post
requests. I'm eager to solve this mistery.

--
Andrey