Re: Too quiet microphone M-Audio revolution

On Thu, 14 Jun 2007, Eduardo García wrote:

Hello everyone.

I am using alsa 1.0.14 with an M-Audio revolution 7.1 (ice1724) and
everything seems to work fine, but there is one little issue, the
microphone is too quiet.

I can record without problems on suites like Audacity and Krec, to later
amplify the sound, but that is not suitable for Ekiga or other telephony
and VoIP programs, because I literally need to shout to be heard.

I googled several hours looking for a workaround, without any luck. In
other soundcards seem to be some microphone boost option, but not for
this one, and because I'm completely new with alsa I do not know what to
do, because ideally I need to boost that channel on about 35dB, or the
maximum below that I can get.

I think I've read somewhere that .asoundrc or asound.state could be
modified to set up audio filters, but I was not able to find any
.asoundrc file.

A make sure that your mic input is actualy supplying power to your
microphone.

If you are using line-in, its sensititivity is about 40db less than the
mocrophone input assuming you have a mic input.
Apparenltysome sound cards the mic input has powoer on the ring, and the
mic signal is on the tip. Ie, your microphone has to use the power from the
ring to apply to the mic, and take the (mono) signal from the tip.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks in advance.