ALSA, DMIX and SPDIF doesn't want to work anymore.

Hi.

I had been happily using the following .asoundrc and was able to get Alsa to
work with Dmix and have the output go out my spdif port to my amp.  For some
reason it doesn't want to see to work anymore.  When I use any application
and tell it use my device ossmix I see the alsa-dmix IPC file in /tmp but I
don't get any sound.  I can't figure out what has changed that has broken my
previously working configuration.

--- .asoundrc -------------------------------
pcm.ossmix {
    type dmix
    ipc_key 1021
    ipc_perm 0666
    slave {
        pcm "hw:0,1"  # also tried hw:0,0
        period_time 0
        period_size 1024  # must be power of 2
        buffer_size 8192  # must be power of 2
        rate 48000
    }

    bindings {
        0 0   # from 0 => to 0
        1 1   # from 1 => to 1
    }
}

# Redirect to ossmix
pcm.!default {
    type plug
    slave.pcm "ossmix"     # use our new PCM here
}

# Redirect to ossmix
pcm.dsp0 {
    type plug
    slave.pcm "ossmix"     # use our new PCM here
}

# mixer0 like above
ctl.mixer0 {
    type hw
    card 0
}
---

--- cat /proc/asound/cards -------------------
0 [NVidia         ]: HDA-Intel - HDA NVidia
                      HDA NVidia at 0xfe028000 irq 19
----

--- cat /proc/asound/devices ----------------
  2:        : timer
  3: [ 0- 1]: digital audio playback
  4: [ 0- 0]: digital audio playback
  5: [ 0- 0]: digital audio capture
  6: [ 0]   : control
---

To verify everything is connected and working like it should I use the
following basic .asoundrc and I am able to get sound without any problem:

pcm.!default {
type plug
slave {
        pcm "spdif"
        rate 48000
        #format S16_LE
      }
}

My test is play an MP3 using VLC with the option '--alsadev ossmix'.  It
seems to work, and as I stated above the alsa-dmix IPC file is created in
/tmp but  I don't hear any sound.

I had this working just fine for weeks and for some reason I can no longer
get it to work.   If anyone can suggest things I can try I'd appreciate it.

TIA
rick.