splitting up AC97 outputs

Hello,

I've been playing around a bit with splitting up the outputs on a
motherboard I have to obtain separate stereo pairs.  It is AC97-based,
with the STAC9758 codec.  After searching around for a bit, I came
across an asoundrc (from the ALSA wiki) that worked (mostly), at the
bottom of the email.

A problem that I've come across is when I seek around with the player
I'm using (XMMS and a test player library), the sounds 'bunch up' on top
of each other.  That is, when I configure XMMS for 'frontx' or 'rearx'.
When I configure it for hw:0,0 it does not behave this way, and drops
the samples in the buffer (snd_pcm_drop) before playing the new data.

I can see how dmix might not be able to drop samples, as it would need
to 'undo' the mixing of samples from a particular source (probably time
consuming).  dshare looked like it might be more appropriate, but I
haven't been able to use it in my configuration correctly.  I either get
playback devices that don't work from being configured incorrectly, or
devices that tie up all of the channels.

I am using Ubuntu Feisty Fawn.  I'm going to play with Jack for a bit
too, to see if that changes the behavior.

Thanks in advance,
Ron

---
.asoundrc: