Re: Full duplex on nForce 250Gb: solved (sort of)

On Tue, 08 May 2007 00:44:31 +0200
Peter Rabbitson <rabbit@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> stan wrote:
> > On Mon, 07 May 2007 23:26:43 +0200
> > Peter Rabbitson <rabbit@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> >> The reason I started digging for it was that skype was extremely
> >> choppy. I would be able to complete the test call as only one side
> >> would speak at a time, but a real conversation was a nightmare.
> >> First I suspected a duplex issue, but after your answer I tried
> >> arecord/aplay combo and it worked. So I looked deeper and found
> >> some references to asym. I decided to give it a try and created the
> >> following .asoundrc:
> >>
> >> pcm.card0 {
> >>   type hw
> >>   card 0
> >> }
> >>
> >> pcm.dmixer {
> >>   type hw
> >>   card 0
> >> }
> >>
> >> pcm.skype {
> >>   type asym
> >>
> >>   playback.pcm "dmixer"
> >>   capture.pcm "card0"
> >> }
> >>
> >> pcm.!default {
> >>   type plug
> >>   slave.pcm "skype"
> >> }
> >>
> >> Skype started working. However I needed !default to be a different
> >> card, so I just started testing different configurations of stuff
> >> and all of a sudden realized that skype _still_ works, no matter
> >> what I do. I removed the .asoundrc, emptied /var/lib/alsa,
> >> reordered modules so the skype card becomes card1, shut down the
> >> machine completely - skype still worked after everything I did. On
> >> one hand I got what I wanted, on another I am really irritated
> >> since I have no idea what happened, and how did the change become
> >> permanent. Could someone point me in the right direction? Thanks!
> >
> > When trying to get a Chaintech AV710 working I noticed that alsa
> > seems to be stateful in just the way you did.  My changes would
> > seem to have no effect.  I think the way I worked around it was to
> > get things set up the way I wanted and then do /sbin/alsactl store
> > <CR> and /sbin/alsactl restore <CR>.  There are probably internal
> > values stored and restored by default.  Just an opinion as I am no
> > expert on this.
> >

> `alsactl` holds its state in /var/lib/alsa/asound.state, which I had
> explicitly deleted, and then did a quick shutdown (sysrq+u&s&b), so
> the shutdown scripts would not recreate it. All volume levels were
> back to their defaults, just as expected. But skype still worked
> basically with the same configuration that I had when it was _not_
> working. It is almost like there is an additional place that holds
> the state that I am not aware of.

I wasn't very clear, but the last statement is what I meant.  I think
that somehow the store and restore commands also change that hidden
state. I haven't looked at the code for alsactl though, so it could be
something completely unrelated.  Like you, my experience suggests that
there is a hidden state.