command to disable/enable coax spdif out?

I have the following setup:

MSI (nvidia) NX7600GT with HDMI out and a cable to take Coax SPDIF in (which it
then passes through out the HDMI together with the picture). To this I have a
Sony KDL-40W2000 TV connected on the HDMI.

I have a Gigabyte GA-965P-DS4 motherboard with ALC883.

My setup works without problems under windows.

Under Linux I get some peculiar behaviour:

I have to load the nvidia driver before the sound is passed thru, so I guess
it's something active on the GFX card that is being controlled by the driver.

After I load the nvidia driver, I have to unplug the coax and replug it again
before sound starts working. If I run the coax to a receiver with SPDIF/COAX in
I don't get this behaviour, so I suspect it's the nvidia GFX card that is doing
something interesting and it's triggering on a plug event.

So my question is if there is a way (command) to simulate a unplug/plug of the
COAX port on the ALC883, so I don't have to do this manually? My thought was to
run this command each time before I run mplayer to make sure it works every
time.

I have spent quite a bit of time on this to verify that it's actually the
unplug/plug that makes it work, but since I figured that out it keeps working
all the time.

Also, I am running alsa:device=hw=0.0 in mplayer. If I use hw=0.2 I get a lot
of static on the right channel. With 0.0 I can use either 2 channel or -ac
hwac3 and get proper passthru to the receiver (the TV doesn't cope that well
with it though) which I thought was strange since I thought this was supposed
to be hw=0.2 only.

# aplay -l
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: ALC883 Analog [ALC883 Analog]
   Subdevices: 1/1
   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 2: ALC883 Digital [ALC883 Digital]
   Subdevices: 1/1
   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike@xxxxxxxxx