Re: Obsolete OSS audio interface

Hallo,
Alexander Dietz hat gesagt: // Alexander Dietz wrote:

>  A I know my card must support some kind of mixing - before updating my
> kernel using "yum update" I was able to use (sometimes) VoiP and heard a
> 'ping' when somethign was happening in one of my terminal windows. So that
> should work fine actually...

Might also be that you heard software mixing in effect: ALSA's default
device (called "default") can do mising, but the OSS-emulation maybe
not. What card do you have?

> Also I am not aware of anything that uses this soundcard. Is there any way
> to find out which code, program etc uses the device? And what device is
> actually used? Is it /dev/dsp or /dev/snd/ or something else?

Something else: It's best to use ALSA device names with ALSA software.
THe usual device to use is called "default". Try:

$ speaker-test -D default

Ciao