HOW TO: Success with Intel HD Audio

After much work I managed to get audio working on my Lenovo 3000 V100 laptop.

The sound card is:
Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio Controller (rev 02)

FIRST ATTEMPT:  CRUX Linux 2.3

Kernel 2.6.20.3 (vanilla)
Compiled alsa as modules (whatever alsa version is in kernel 2.6.20.3)
Compiled Intel Advnaced Speedstep as modules
Compiled APCI as modules (who wants to overheat an expensive laptop, right!)

RESULT:
Module snd-hda-intel loads, yet sound is missing.
Passing kernel boot option "apci-ht" at boot allows sound to work.
Did not want to go without apci on a laptop, so this solution was not an option.
(Don't blame me if you roast your laptop because you ran without apci).
Tried to install external alsa-drivers: version 1.0.14rc3, including
patch for realtek.c, yet 1.0.14rc3 will not even compile with a kernel
as new as 2.6.20.3.

SECOND ATTEMPT:  Kubuntu 7.04

Kernel 2.6.20-15-generic (whatever kernel Kubuntu installer chose to install)
Alsa, APCI, Advanced SpeedStep all loaded as modules.

RESULT #1:
No sound.
Passing kernel boot option "apci-ht" gives no sound either.
I could not find any kernel boot option or snd-hda-intel option that gave sound.

RESULT #2:
Sound Works!
I downloaded the vanilla alsa-drivers, version 1.0.14rc3, the version
6 realtek.c patch, applied the patch, configure
--with-cards-hda-intel, make and make install, rebooted and sound
worked!
No kernel boot options are snd-hda-intel module options are required.

####  SO, WHAT DID I LEARN ? #####

If you read the SUPPORTED_KERNELS document that is included with the
1.0.14rce alsa-drivers tarball, it says:

""
The alsa-drivers in this package are designed for the following kernels:

 - Vanilla 2.6.20 or earlier
 - Vanilla 2.4.31 or earlier
 - Vanilla 2.2.26 or earlier

It's not guaranteed that they work with any newer version than above
or modified kernels by distributors.
""

This is why 1.0.14rc3 would not compile with the kernel in CRUX Linux
2.3: the kernel was too new.

I also learned that the realtek.c patch, applied to a 1.0.14rc3
alsa-driver, used with a 2.6.20 kernel works great for this laptop AND
WILL PROBABLY FIX SOUND ISSUES WITH OTHER LAPTOPS.

On a side note: if you've read this far, you may have a similar
laptop, with an Intel Graphics chip.  If you're having trouble with
the widescreen resolutions: Google for "915resolution" and you're
problem is solved.

Hope this all helps.

Chris