Re: softvol limits 0-0

I've unearthed a bit of a clue.  For some reason, the resolution setting is getting passed as a channel setting.
When I set the resolution to 3, I get this output from amixer

Simple mixer control 'Master',0
  Capabilities: volume
  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: 0 - 0
  Mono: 0 [0%]
  Front Left:
  Front Right:

Rather than defaulting to 256 for the resolution, it's getting set to 0, and I can't change it because the resolution setting gets passed to the count parameter.
What can I do here?
This is starting to look more like a bug than something I did.
I'm using ALSA 1.0.4 with alsabase and alsautils 1.0.8 on a 2.4 kernel.