Re: USB speakers: a suggestion

On Thu, 22 Mar 2007, Ingo Müller wrote:

Quote: "Fascism is an authoritarian political ideology and mass movement
that seeks to place the nation (defined in exclusive biological,
cultural, and historical terms) above all other loyalties." (Enlglish
Wikipedia)

Please explain how Windows Vista is fascist in any sort.

An operating system which apparently with no input from the user and with
no way of changing it by the user, decides on what the proper sound card is
for all programs to use, I call fascist-- ie, what is best for the
"gornemnt"( operating system writer) is imposed on the user.

If "narrow-minded", "limited", "restricted" or "intolerant" is what you

Those are all terms used pejoratively. Your definition from Wikipedia uses
none of those terms. Those are your gloss on what you see as the
connotations of fascism.

think about Windows Vista, please explain how it is not "narrow-minded",
"limited", "restricted" or "intolerant" to expect from a simple user to
learn to program scripts and deal with things deep inside of the system
just in order to choose his default sound card.

If the user is unwilling or unable to select things, then it clearly does
not matter, they are stuck with what the operating system gives them. The
question is how it deals with people who are unwilling and unable to accept
those defaults and have the ability to change them.

If you are arguing that Linux could make setting up hotplug scripts easier,
you have a good argument. If you are arguing that since not everyone can do
it, no mechanism to change should be made available, then I would disagree.

Linux has a mechanism, the hotplug scripts to alter the way a system
operates when something is plugged into a usb port. The OP did not want to
use that mechanism for some reason. Instead he felt that what he found most
convenient today should be the way in which the operating system should
operate by default, not realising that his desires today might not be the
same as his desires tomorrow , and might not be the same as other's desires
even today.

So, rewriting alsa so that it constantly reread its config file to check to
see if new hardware had been put in and to change which harware was used on
the fly is one idea, but I think a bad one. It is a way of bugs, of
complicating alsa, which always introduces bugs. The whole Unix/Linux
philosophy is to make small things so simple things and to have complicated
things done by linking together simple things. There is a mechanism for
altering the behaviour of the system on pluggin things into a bus-- the
hotplug mechanism. To overload alsa in order to do something which is far
better carried out by that mechanism is a bad idea.

To ask for easier ways of setting up hotplug scripts is certainly a valid
thing to ask for. So the usb soundcard manufacturers writing hotplug
scripts for their soundcard would also be a good idea, or even for distro
writers including a gui mechanism for doing so.

Regards, Ingo Müller