Fwd: Home Theatre PC to Decode Digital Input

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Michael Bourgeous <sts.nitrogen@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Feb 28, 2007 1:30 AM
Subject: Re:  Home Theatre PC to Decode Digital Input
To: "Dustin C. Hatch" <admiralnemo@xxxxxxxxxx>

You could probably do some research on how AC3-wavs and AC3 CDs are
made, then do the reverse on the recorded raw digital sound (possibly
using "iec958" as the recording device, if that device is full
duplex).  You could then pipe the raw ac3 data into ac3dec/a52dec.
Unless your sound card synchronizes its clock to the S/PDIF input, you
will have annoying sync problems.  There may also be some decoding
latency introduced by the record/playback process, which could be
minimized by writing your own tool that would open the sound card with
the smallest possible record and playback buffers, and use liba52 and
libdts to decode the audio.  You could then throw in some resampling
code to try to keep sync, though if your card doesn't sync to its
digital input the AC3 stream will probably be ruined by the card's
sample rate conversion (even 47.9kHz->48kHz conversion caused by minor
clock discrepancies would ruin it).  If you implement this, please
share your method and results.

Mike Bourgeous