Re: Recommendation for "high end" hardware mixing PC soundcard?

Hi Peter!

 On 2007.02.18 at 16:13:46 +0100, Peter wrote next:

> The problem is, I use lots of different software that plays sounds, including
> software that only supports OSS (e.g. all old closed software like the loki
> games, TeamSpeak 2....), and I have never managed to get my linux box to just
> allow running these apps, and some music etc. all at once. This is a linux
> problem, when using windows software mixing just "works", and nobody cares
> (or even knows) if they own soundcards with hardware mixing capabilities.
> Would the above be possible with jack? Or is my software use-case just far
> from normal and nobody cares?

No, jack isn't the solution that increases compatibility. Actually, it
decreases it, since only apps that support jack directly work perfectly,
the one that support only alsa /can/ be redirected to jack via
alsa->jack wrapper, but it works only as long as they all behave good,
once one of them exhibits any problem, all your music stalls
(fortunately, since most of programs support either jack directly, or
work though jack-enabled backend like gstreamer, pulseaudio, portaudio,
this problem is quite rare). The purpose of jack is completely
different.

You can't use oss programs with jack, however you might get some luck
with aoss wrapper. oss->aoss->alsa->jack is a horrible chain, and it
doesn't work for me - YMMW. On the other hand, there is direct oss->jack
wrapper: http://fort.xdas.com/~kor/oss2jack/, but I never tried it. When
I started using jack, I suddently discovered that I don't have any
oss-only application on my desktop; all the programs I ever used support
alsa, or even jack. So don't blame linux or alsa, blame oss! Well, don't
blame it if you use oss drivers, but if you using alsa, stay away from
oss emulation and you'll be fine.

As about your problem - believe it or not, it is the same in linux now!
Most distros automatically configure dmix for you, and you shouldn't
care how much hardware streams your card supports. Of course, all your
apps must be alsa-enabled, but I don't think most people ever heard of
oss-only apps nowadays.

I don't know anything about teamspeak, but I heard that name a lot in
jack or alsa context, so there should be some solution - try alsa wiki
and google. As about games, well - wine supports jack output. Never
actually tried using it, but it should work, I guess. Common wine
alternative, crossover from codeweavers also has jack plugin. Not sure
about the last alternative, cedega from transgaming, but probably it
supports jack too..

Can't say anything about loki games, but.. aren't they VERY old? Do they
ever work? I have Loki Demo CD with a few game demos on it, but it's
about 7 years old, I really doubt it ever works with modern glibc/other
components, not to mention x86-64 systems (and I don't have any legacy
32-bit x86 desktop around me to try it), and I heard that loki is out of
business for a very long time.

I won't argue with you that if you really need to run old loki games,
there isn't any better solution that using creative card. On the other
hand, I can't think of any other reason to use them, there are much
better alternatives.

--

Vladimir