Re: Recommendation for "high end" hardware mixing PC soundcard?

On Sunday 18 February 2007 00:22, Vladimir Mosgalin wrote:
>  On 2007.02.17 at 22:45:32 +0100, Peter wrote next:
> > 0) linux people don't care about hardware mixing [why? software mixing in
> > linux is a big building site and was never capable to provide me the
> > comforts and possibilities I got with hardware mixing on the emu10k1
> > based cards.]
>
> The truth is, "hardware mixing" isn't the hot thing right now.
> [removed some stuff] As about
> middle-ranged cards, they are either about delivering higher quality
> sound than onboards cards (models from M-Audio, Terratec) - they don't
> need hardware mixing because software works very well nowadays, or about
> gaming (Creative cards) - the only ones that truly need hardware mixing,
> to unload mixing big amount of streams off processor.

Hi Vladimir!

I agree with you that todays CPUs provide enough power to do the mixing in
software, saving CPU cycles is *not* why I am trying to get hold of a
hardware mixing capable card.
The problem is, I use lots of different software that plays sounds, including
software that only supports OSS (e.g. all old closed software like the loki
games, TeamSpeak 2....), and I have never managed to get my linux box to just
allow running these apps, and some music etc. all at once. This is a linux
problem, when using windows software mixing just "works", and nobody cares
(or even knows) if they own soundcards with hardware mixing capabilities.
Would the above be possible with jack? Or is my software use-case just far
from normal and nobody cares?

Peter who is reading about jack
--
Westheimer's Discovery:
	A couple of months in the laboratory can frequently save a