Re: Alsa Wiki

Hi!

Let me say something first before I continue with the subject: I'm
*really* happy that someone is trying to change something, which you
apparently do, and I'm even more happy about the two great articles you
contributed! Three months ago, I also started to contribute and wanted
to make everything better, but I got somehow disillusioned since then.
That's why I don't don't fully agree with the changes and restored the
version before these changes. Let me explain in detail.

As it was just before my restoring, there were three links to pages that
didn't exist yet. The links sounded great, but in order to make them
keep what they promised, there is a HUGE amount of work to do! A
hardware matrix with hundreds of different cards is nothing that can be
done in some days, neither weeks (and probably not even months). What
makes me think that is the fact, that there would have been the
possibility to collect the necessary information (the [[Sound cards]]
[1] article, the sound card matrix on the official ALSA site [2]...),
but it has simply not been done. Too few people are working on that
issue, so why would it be different now.

So, when these link don't keep what the promise (which they won't at
least for quite a lot of time), they should not be there. This is just
confusing and dissappoint for the user and they take place that should
be used by more helpfull links. Plus the impression of "under
construction" (which will probably always be there somewhere) doesn't
need to start on the main page.

Finally, there are already pages that somehow have a similar purpose as
three that would have to be created: The official hardware matrix [2],
the Sound cards page [1] and Alsa preferred soundcards article. The
don't do exactly the same job, but they do what can be done with our
means at the moment.

Again, I agree with you in the need to change something and I also agree
with your point to move the [[Sound cards]] link up because of its
importance, but I think that first, the content should be created and
then, it should be linked to.

I invite everybody to join a discussion about how to do that,
preferrably on the community portal of the wiki [4]! For example, there
are great propositions on [5] and [6]. Maybe a reorganisation can be
based on one of them...

I'm looking forward to hear from as much people as possible about his topic!

Regards, Ingo

[1] http://alsa.opensrc.org/Sound_cards
[2] http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/
[3] http://alsa.opensrc.org/Alsa_Preferred_Soundcards