Re: Need help to finish the UA-25 howto

Hi!
Big progress here! I got my mic to work, I was able to record stuff andI *think* that I was able to seperate left and right channel. I'm notsure how to test it though...
Here's what I added to my asoundrc file:
pcm.recording {    type        dsnoop    ipc_key     2589    slave {        pcm     "hw:0,0"        format  "S16_LE"    }}
pcm.recleft {    type        dsnoop    ipc_key     2589    slave {        pcm     "hw:0,0"        format  "S16_LE"    }    bindings.0  0}
pcm.recright {    type        dsnoop    ipc_key     2589    slave {        pcm     "hw:0,0"        format  "S16_LE"    }    bindings.0  1}
It creates three devices which are dsnooped together (like dmix, but forrecording). The ipc_key is an arbitrary number, but is has to be thesame for all the three of them. I don't know whether the dsnoop pluginis always necessary, but I think I heard that not a lot of soundcardssupport "mixing" when recording (many more do mixing for playback).
As dsnoop (just like dmix) only supports a hw typed slave, I wasn't ableto chose plughw:0,0, which was much easier to use with arecord, so I hadto pick hw:0,0. When I was using arecord with hw:0,0, I had to specifythe sample format (with -f) to S16_LE, so I specified that format in myasoundrc file, too.
Last but not least, the bindings section of the recleft device binds theone channel to the first channel of its slave (I hope that its the leftone), and the bindings section of the recright device binds its channelto the second of its slave. Like this (I hope), the recX devices willonly record the X channel.
If we can approve that the above setup works, I'm glad that we found thesolution so quickly and I'm looking forward to have a new article in thewiki :-)
Regards, Ingo

Jean-Michel Pouré schrieb:> Dear Ingo,> > Le mardi 13 février 2007 à 22:33 +0100, Ingo Müller a écrit :>> First, I wanted to give HUGE thanks to you for your work you are doing>> on the wiki! It always feels good if people are contributing a bit, so>> I'm really happy about you doing a lot :-) If you have any idea about>> general improvements about the wiki, I'd be glad if we could discuss>> them.> > You are welcome. Whenever I discover a tool, I like to contribute to the> corresponding wiki. It is a very nice way to learn.> >> About your remaining problems: I tried some recording for the first>> time>> sunday night, but I wasn't successfull. I don't know whether it's the>> card, the mixer settings or the mic plugged in into the wrong plug :-P>> I'll try to get it to work in the next couple of days and will then>> try>> to seperate the two channels. Maybe, we should create a new page about>> that problem in general, so you could link to that page on the Edirol>> UA-25 page.> > Good idea.> >> Unfortunately, I can't help you with the low-latency and midi>> stuff :-/ > > A new problem now: I> cannot speak in the microphone or play a sound to digital out.> > Any idea?> > Kind regards,> Jean-Michel

-------------------------------------------------------------------------Take Surveys. Earn Cash. Influence the Future of ITJoin SourceForge.net's Techsay panel and you'll get the chance to share youropinions on IT & business topics through brief surveys-and earn cashhttp://www.techsay.com/default.php?page=join.php&p=sourceforge&CID=DEVDEV_______________________________________________Alsa-user mailing listAlsa-user@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/alsa-user