JavaSound and Alsa on Ubuntu desktop

Hello!

We're trying to use ALSA for the purpose of grabbing sound bytes into
java using the JavaSound API directly. However, sometimes we
experience that the read() access to the
device blocks infinitely. Then, also when we access the GUI controls
of sound in the desktop, they sometimes freezes, and sometimes pops up
strange error messages.

Is this due to some default setting on ALSA allowing only one
application to access the hardware at a time? I have studied the Howto
sections in alsa.opensrc.org and found this
statement

"ALSA drivers, as a rule, will support sharing if the hardware
supports it. The ALSA library supports sharing even if the hardware
does not support it, but this requires some explicit configuration"

in http://alsa.opensrc.org/AlsaSharing.

Could this be the reason why my application/configuration GUIs hangs?

It's not possible for me to create a recipe on how to recreate this
problem, it seem to happen in an unpredictable fashion, making ALSA
too unstable for me to use as a production system, which is very
disappointing indeed. I'm also quite surprised that Ubuntu, which is
told me to be one of the most advanced Linux distros is shipped with
configuration GUIs that freezes like this.

PS: I've tested both on Ubuntu Edgy and Dapper, and see the same
problem both places. I can give more details on hardware if required.

Best regards,
Helge Fredriksen