USB soundcard that works OTB?

Hi, I've finally given up getting my Dell Inspiron's built-in hda-intel soundcard to fully work. The mic input dies after suspend/resume. Heaven knows why. I'm using the latest alsa (14rc2), and this problem was noted as being fixed in the Alsa 13 changelog. Alsactl indicates that the soundcard's state is the same on resume as it is on suspend. So, basically, I'm stuck on this problem, and I'm on to famous Plan B: acquire an inexpensive USB adapter from Hong Kong!
The alsa website indicates that any usb adapter which is "standards compliant" will work with ALSA. Nevertheless, I'd like to hear of somebody else's success story before I plunk down $10 on a new piece of hardware. I'm think I'm basically looking for something like this.
Or this.
Or anything else if somebody has a better recommendation. I just need my mic to work.
If anyone has had any experience selecting a usb sound device that worked out of the box, I'd greatly appreciate it if you could post and tell me.
Thanks!

-Jake