Re: How do I set the default sound card?

Not sure how useful it is since you use Debian, but FC6 has an improved
sound card configuration UI where you can, among other things, set the
ordering of the cards. But I have to test if it solves your problem (I
will open a bug otherwise).

http://fedora.redhat.com/projects/config-tools/redhat-config-soundcard.html

--
Per Thomas