Re: M-Audio Revolutin 5.1 [Fixed! Sorta]

Lee Revell wrote:
> On 2/3/07, Lee Revell <rlrevell@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On 2/3/07, Josh <TwoOneSix@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> > $ aplay -D spdif -t raw -f S32_LE -c2 -r48000 sample_track.ac3
>> > Playing raw data 'sample_track.ac3' : Signed 32 bit Little Endian,
>> Rate
>> > 48000 Hz, Stereo
>> > Aborted by signal Interrupt...
>>
>> Sorry, no idea.  Try with the 7.1 and mplayer.  Maybe AC3 passthrough
>> is in fact unsupported.
>>

> Hmm, it should definitely work with the 7.1.  Try this:
>
> http://alsa.opensrc.org/Ice1724
>
> Lee

OK, so the problem is fixed and as far as I'm concerned it was my fault
for not catching this issue sooner. I don't know about the M-Audio
Revolution 5.1 or 7.1 issues I was having, but the reason I tried them
in the first place was because my 1st option wasn't working. So, I
revisited my 1st option (Turtle Beach Riviera) and, like I had posted
previously on the MythTV-Users list, it worked for about 30 minutes and
then mysteriously stopped working. Well, I moved on to the M-Audio card
after 2 days of trying to get that card to work again... the M-Audio
card caused me all kinds of grief with AC3 and I never could get it
working... Here is the output from mplayer that made me finally give up
on the M-Audio card (remind you I'm on Fedora Core 6 - FC6).
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Opening audio decoder: [liba52] AC3 decoding with liba52
Using SSE optimized IMDCT transform
Using MMX optimized resampler
AUDIO: 48000 Hz, 2 ch, s16le, 192.0 kbit/12.50% (ratio: 24000->192000)
Selected audio codec: [a52] afm: liba52 (AC3-liba52)
[AO_ALSA] Format s16le is not supported by hardware, trying default.
[AO_ALSA] Unable to set format: Invalid argument
Could not open/initialize audio device -> no sound.
Audio: no sound
Starting playback...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Well, after 2 more hours of messing with the Turtle Beach card and
finally getting mplayer to output this:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Forced audio codec: hwac3
Opening audio decoder: [hwac3] AC3/DTS pass-through S/PDIF
No accelerated IMDCT transform found
hwac3: switched to AC3, 192000 bps, 48000 Hz
AUDIO: 48000 Hz, 2 ch, ac3, 192.0 kbit/12.50% (ratio: 24000->192000)
Selected audio codec: [hwac3] afm: hwac3 (AC3 through S/PDIF)
AO: [alsa] 48000Hz 2ch ac3 (1 bytes per sample)
Starting playback...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I knew at that point ALSA could see my card and the S/PDIF output and it
was obviously outputting AC3 data to my card... so I whipped out the
manual for my Sony digital receiver... it says the same thing it did the
day I bought it, that it supports all mode and will auto-select the
input source... so I take a quick gander at the LCD and notice that the
"OPT" (Optical) light is no longer lit, it's not getting a signal (mind
you the device lights up upon connection with a digital device, it
doesn't even have to be pushing data, like a power cord on a computer
monitor lights up a small light to let you know it's plugged in but not
powered on)... any who, I yank the Matix optical cable from the setup,
power down my box, yank the Riviera take them to Fry's and swap them out
with BOTH new items, come home, plug them up and BAM, every thing's
working exactly like it should! 5 days of wasted effort because of a
hardware failure!!! I guess I learned more about ALSA, mplayer, MythTV,
digital audio formats, and supported Linux hardware then I would have
had it "just worked" so I can't be too upset.

The lesson learned here is to never forget that when you get stuck and
all else fails, go back to your A+ certification study and remember that
if an issue is just plain "weird and unexplainable" look at the
hardware. Thanks Lee for trying to help and I'm glad at least someone
made an effort to help me. As for the Revolution 7.1 ($99) I couldn't
get it to work with Dolby Digital 5.1, but the Riviera ($34) works with
everything I have, mp3, ac3, dts, SPDIF... I'm just glad this is over
and everything is working.

--
Josh