Re: Anyone implemented AV in vis Alsa and RME equipment?

Hi,

On Friday 02 Feb 2007, Dominique Michel wrote:
> Which instrument can play a note below 20 Hz? Even the biggest church
> organs cannot do that.

The fundamental of Bass C (the bottom note on an organ with the normal
compass - two octaves below middle C) on a stop speaking at 32' pitch is
about 16Hz if my maths isn't playing tricks on me. 32' stops are fairly
common, at least on English-style organs - most larger instruments have at
least one on the pedals.

A few organs can play at 64' pitch which would give an 8Hz fundamental for
Bass C - meaning the entire bass octave and part of the tenor octave would be
sounding below 20Hz!

While we can obviously only hear harmonics of these notes, it is possible to
feel the fundamentals, at least on the more powerful stops.

I have often thought that it would be nice (at least for me, if not for the
neighbours :) to be able to reproduce that aspect of a performance, but most
recordings don't even include those sorts of frequencies (at least, not at a
useful level) probably mainly because of the limitations of the equipment
used to capture them.

Regards,
Stephen