Re: Help/advice on RME cards and Linux ALSA

All,

Do not overestimate the importance of latency. While for voice-over work and
punch-in/out work this is important, and while a lot of musicians cannot play
with latencies less than 0 ms, this is not necessary true for performing
musicians.

The performers get their feedback through the stage monitors. Ronan indicqated
that those will not be put through the pc so latency here is negligable. The
main monitors are often much suppressed on stage (feedback!) (by directing
the sound where it is wanted: in the audience). So the audience hears almost
only the main PA. Maybe the first row(s) will hear something of the musicians
themselves, but as long as the delay stay below the Haas limit, there should
be no problem. And if you have PA for more than thousand listeners, the
direct sound is peanuts since those will likely be even closer to the PA.

People seem to forget that in a symphonic orchestra the distance between
performers is more than a few meters. So delays of several tens of
milliseconds are no problem for a trained musician.

Regards,
Johan

On Wednesday 24 January 2007 23:49, Bill Unruh wrote:
> [...]
> > playback to the audience through a PA system (upwards of 10KW) through our
> > house and monitor speakers. we currently do this all in analog (analog
> > mixers, eq's, compression, limiters, crossovers etc).   I'm investigating
if
> > linux components can be dependable and robust enough (eventually as I gain
> > experience with it) to be considered a replacement for any of our analog
> > equipment.
>
> I would make sure to use a real time kernel, so that the kernel does not
> wander off doing something else while the sound is forced to wait.
>

> >> From what I've seen thus far, the Linux distros focused on sound are
> > powerful and flexible but are "bleeding edge" and are more geared toward
> > postprocessing and studio mixing/remixing tasks, digital audio mastering
etc
> > than to replace analog mixer boards and other analog equipment in live
> > concert situations.
> >
> > Out of the several music-focused linux distros, I've only found Suse
10.1/2
> > to recognize my SATA drives upon installation.   I've got a HP pavillion
>
> Well, most modern distros running recent (2.6.1x) kernels recognize SATA.
>

> > 7170n PC with a Pentium D chip. As a Linux user with knowledge circa 15
> > years ago and at that time it was early slackware, my hope in this latest
> > endeavor was to find an audio-focused distro that would upon installation
> > and as I upgrade it recognize most of my peripherals (my PC is nearly
> > 1.5years old).  I also need to use a RT kernel.
> >
> > My first task is to get a simple WAV file to playback through a Jack-aware
> > WAV file player (jack enabled audacity, or ardour2 etc) -- to become
> > familiar with routing signals through jack and to know more about the
> > stability of the software.  Then as I become more confident in myself and
in
> > the software, substitute pieces of our analog equipment (eg start with a
> > mixer) with Jack compatible Linux apps/tools (maybe Jamin, BruteFIR, etc).
> >
> > Yes I have a long ways to go.  that's why I'm starting with my inbuilt
sound
> > card prior to purchasing an expensive RME card -- I figure I should be
able
> > to make the onboard Intel HDA audio card work for basic tasks.
>
> Unfortunately the Intel HDA card is one that the alsa people have had a lot
> of trouble with. Intel is supposed to be linux friendly, but it is not
> clear if they really are, or why the hda driven soundsystems seem to have
> had the greatest trouble. I would probably suggest some other better
> supported sound card first.
>

> > Today after having installed OpenSuse 10.2 and following all of the
> > instructions in "3 steps to JAD for beginners" (
> > http://wiki.jacklab.net/index.php/3_Steps_to_JAD_for_Beginners) -- this
> > seemed to be a good starting point for someone as new to the recent
Linuxes

--
You're never alone when you hear voices inside your head.