Re: Mixer levels storage location?

On Friday 19 January 2007 07:29, Filipus Klutiero wrote:

> >On Thursday 18 January 2007 01:34, Filipus Klutiero wrote:
> >> When I reboot my PC, the mixer levels are kept (restored). I know they
> >> are not stored in /var/lib//alsa//. Where else could these levels be
> >> stored? Using Etch.
> >
> >They're normally kept in /etc/asound.state. The settings are saved there
> >with 'alsactl store' and reloaded with 'alsactl restore', probably
> > somewhere in your system's init scripts.
>
> As Nigel said, asound.state is not stored in /etc in Etch. I've disabled
> saving of mixer levels by init scripts, so asound.state isn't modified
> anymore, but the mixer levels are still kept. My goal is to have channels
> mute when I start the PC, so I am looking for where the mixer levels are
> stored to understand what's wrong.

The settings are definately kept in asound.state.  Logically all you should
need to do is to set alsamixer up on the CLI to how you want it to look on
bootup, then run alsactl store as root. You say that you've disabled the
saving of the mixer settings on shutdown, and I presume that alsactl restore
is still set to restore the settings at bootup, so when you next bootup
alsactl restore should restore your modified asound.state file.

Something to bear in mind though if you're using KDE, is that Kmix will also
mess with mixer settings.  This means that Kmix, when you logout of KDE will
remember the current state of alsamixers settings, so if you have master
volume set at 80% when you logout of KDE, Kmix will remember it.  Then you
shutdown, and alsactl store doesn't run (because you've disabled it), and the
asound.state file is still setup, in for instance, the everything muted
state.

So far so good. When you next bootup, alsactl restore will run, and restore
your mixer setup to alsamixer, and if you looked at alsamixer now before
logging into KDE, it would show the muted setup that you want.  But now you
login to KDE, and Kmix, remembering that it last saw master volume at 80%,
changes alsamixers settings.

You can stop Kmix doing this in, Kmix/Settings/Configure KMix, and uncheck the
restore volumes on login box, click on apply, and hopefully your desired,
muted, alsamixer settings should be the same on Kmix, when you login to KDE.

I don't know about Gnome though, if your using that.

Nigel.