Re: HELP PLEASE!!!! How do I update to latest development release of ALSA on Suse 10.1? Have issue with 82801G (ICH7 Family) intel HD audio

on Wed, Jan 17, 2007 at 05:27:56PM -0800 ronan mcallister mumbled:
> Hi, I have Suse 10.1 with recent updates -- my YaST HW info shows I
> have the ALSA 1.0.13 (stable) release, and I am having problems with
> this sound card -- when playing back WAV files through ALSAplayer
> (after starting Jack with "jackd -R -dalsa -r44100 -p1024" I get very
> garbled (and loud) audio.

The real changes with that chip (at least for me) have been with
ALSA's kernel modules - fortunately the new drivers are available in
Andrew Morton's -mm series of patches for the latest kernel - if
you're familiar with kernel compilation procedures on Suse, pop over
to the Linux Kernel Archives, download a 2.6.19 kernel, patch it to
2.6.20rc4 (5 now?), and apply Andrew Morton's ALSA-git patch broken out of
the -mm repository.  Configure, compile, install, and reboot to it.

If you haven't learned yet how to compile a kernel, now's a good time
to learn.  As to the userland software, in my case I haven't bothered
to build for my distro yet as I haven't really needed it on this
laptop.  I'm sure there are improvements there, as well, but first you
need to get the kernel right IMHO.

Ciao,

Dave