82801G no sound when plug is in

If ( with Fedora 6 ) I run the sound detection or play sound and push
the headphone or speaker socket ALMOST home the sound
works fine out of the front or the back sockets . If I push the
plug completely home so it clicks the sound stops.

This is a white box with all Intel chip sets - the sound card
is detected as 82801G ICH7 Family High Definition Audio Controller

I have tried Suse 10.2 and it does the same thing - Windows XP
works fine so the hardware is OK. It's as if when you push the
plug in that last bit, the hardware detects it and sends some
sort of signal that is mis understood

Has anyone seen this/know what the problem is

ta

mal