Re: has anyone got mtpav working on a current kernel (2.6.8 or higher?)

Hi Clemens,

I haven't tried the other 2 yet (will do today or tomorrow), however I
have done some more extensive testing today. This only happens when the
mtp-av is actually plugged in and turned on at the point where the
driver is first used (i.e. assigning a MIDI Port in MusE to a channel on
the mtpav or trying to send play a midi file through one of the mtpav
ports using a command line sequencer. If the device is actually turned
off the driver computer behaves as if everything is okay.

I also found that the driver doesn't hang the machine if a MIDI port is
assigned in MusE while the device is powered down. The system doesn't go
into hard lock if the system is  powered up after this. The driver works
reasonably reliably in this state.

I was able to add extra ports in MusE after it was turned on (only after
the first port had already been assigned). I was also able to play to
and record from the individual ports.

I say reasonably reliably as the timing doesn't seem to be working 100%.
The "tach" light flashes on the mtpav and I don't seem to be able to get
reliable sync. However this only happens when I don't block Midi clock
from one of my other external sequencers and don't disconnect the MIDI
cables from my usb MIDI controller from the mtpav.

Admittedly this could be to do with the sync implementation in MusE, so
I will try with Rosegarden as well.

I have to go to dinner now, but let me know if there is anyway I can get
debug information for you that will help solve this.

ALthough it's still not working rock solidly, I am much happier to see
something start to work. Unfortunately though this appears to be more
driver related than hardware, so a quick fix like a new motherboard
won't solve it.

cheers

Allan